Post-Op Instructions for Exposure of Impacted Teeth
After Impacted tooth exposure, do not disturb the wound. If surgical packing was placed, leave it alone. The packing helps to keep the tooth exposed. A chain might also have been placed and secured to the orthodontic wire with a suture. If the packing or chain becomes dislodged or falls out, do not get alarmed and please contact our office for instructions
- Check gauze when you get home
- Replace gauze every 30-40 minutes if saturated (red & soggy)
- If still saturated after 3-4 changes, switch to moist black tea bag (Lipton)
- Ice: 20 minutes on, 20 minutes off – ALL DAY!
- Swelling peaks 3 days AFTER surgery
Cool, Soft Diet
- Yogurt, pudding, applesauce, Jamba Juice (no seeds), ice cream, smoothies
Good Oral Hygiene
- Use the soft post-surgical toothbrush we gave you to brush the TEETH around the surgery site. Do not brush the gums around the surgical site. Brush the other teeth with your regular toothbrush
- Warm salt water SOAKS for surgery areas 2-3x a day until healed
- Warmer, still soft – Eggs, soup, pasta, mash potatoes, etc.
- Avoid hard, crunchy foods such as seeds, popcorn, nuts or chips for 3-4 weeks until the area fully heals
Do You Have Missing Teeth or Serious Pain in Your Teeth or Jaw?
Call Us Now to Reclaim a Pain-Free, Confident Smile!