Post-Op Instructions for Extraction with Bone Graft & Glue Stitch
Bone Graft & Glue Stitch
- The extraction site is filled with the bone graft material
- The graft is covered with a hard, thin disc of lavender colored glue stitch
- The glue will come out in the next few days
- This is NOT the graft – This is NOT a problem!
Since the socket is filled with the graft and covered with glue, bleeding is usually minimal and does NOT require gauze. If bleeding persists, you may moisten a gauze pad with cold water and bite gently for ½ hour
Day of Procedure
NO rinsing, smoking, spitting, brushing or using straws.
- Apply ice to outside of face at surgical site. 20 minutes on, 20 minutes off – ALL DAY!
- Swelling peaks 3-4 days AFTER surgery
Cool, Soft Diet:
- Yogurt, pudding, applesauce, Jamba Juice (no seeds), ice cream…
Do not smoke or use straws 4-5 days after your procedure
Good Oral Hygiene
- Use the soft post-surgical toothbrush we gave you to brush the teeth around the surgery site; brush other teeth with a regular toothbrush (NO electric toothbrush or water pik around surgical site until follow up)
- Warm salt water soaks at surgical site 2-3x a day until healed
- Warmer, still soft – Eggs, soup, pasta, mash potatoes, etc.
- Avoid hard, crunchy foods such as seeds, popcorn, nuts or chips for 3-4 weeks until the area fully heals